Tonight, July 27, 9.10pm BBC2
Jane Campion‘s Top of the Lake. I’ve missed all but the first episode so must catch up first. Will probably Youview record it, cos got to see the competing ITV spy show.
The Americans. Convoluted spy thriller, almost as weird as Le Carre.
10.55pm BBC2 TV
Sunday, July 28, 8pm, Channel 4
Sombre 19th Century social realist drama, The Mill. A nice early evening prelude to the frothy bodice-busting politicking of The White Queen on BBC1 at 9pm, but I’ll be deciding whether Branagh’s Scottish play is better than his awful Hamlet or as good as his wonderful Henry V, so it’s hit the Youview record button again.
Monday July 29, 4.35pm, Film 4
Best way to see the delicious monochrome images of Roman Holiday (not to mention Audrey Hepburn charming everyone else off the screen) is the just re-released big-screen version, but this is a decent alternative.
Tuesday July 30, 11.50pm BBC1
The Jack Nicholson character is a pain (though brilliantly played) in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and the film a slander on carers for the mentally ill, but Milos Formasn does a great job with a piss-poor fiction.
Friday August 2, 9.10pm, BBC4
Repeat showing of Fairport Convention’s March 2012 Islington 45th birthday concert. A good curtain-raiser for Cropredy.
- YouView Review: A Year Later (reviewnerds.com)
- July 27, 2013: Coming events (karldallasday.wordpress.com)
- The £10 Sky box that connects ANY TV to the web and lets you watch online catch-up shows (dailymail.co.uk)
- Proms in HD on BBC Red Button (bbc.co.uk)
- Top of the Lake opens with 1.9m (guardian.co.uk)
- Book vs. Movie: One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest (lifeofafemalebibliophile.wordpress.com)
- Jane Campion interview for Top of the Lake: ‘The world is focused on sexiness’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- Book Review: The Kite Runner (jannlee25.wordpress.com)