Hark the glad sound
Days to Christmas
Please come back tomorrow for another posting in my Advent calendar
King James Version (KJV)
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Words: Philip Doddridge (1702-1751), 1735
1. Hark, the glad Sound! the Saviour comes!
The Saviour promis’d long!
Let ev’ry Heart prepare a Throne,
And every Voice a Song.
2. On Him the Spirit largely pour’d,
Exerts His sacred Fire;
Wisdom and Might, and Zeal and Love,
His holy Breast inspire.
3. He comes the Pris’ners to release,
In Satan’s Bondage held;
The Gates of Brass before him burst,
The Iron Fetters yield.
4. He comes from thickest Films of Vice
To clear the mental Ray,
And on the eyes oppressed with night
To pour celestial day.
6. His Silver Trumpets publish loud
The Jub’lee of the Lord;
Our Debts are all remitted now,
Our Heritage restored.
7. Our glad Hosannas, Prince of Peace,
Thy Welcome shall proclaim;
And Heav’n’s eternal Arches ring
With thy belovèd Name.
- Click HERE for KDsales website. Free rollout of access to ebooks etc extended to January 1. Go to THIS ANNOUNCEMENT for more info.
- Advent Season (barefootbrooke.com)